This sauce is so simple, yet mind-blowingly good!
You can use it on pasta, tofu slabs, a savory non-Asian stir fry… anything really!
Morel mushrooms work the best in this, but any number of mushrooms and mushrooms mixes could work in this (make sure they are fresh or re-hydrated. Fresh are available around May).
Awesome Mushroom Sauce (with bonus fried mushrooms)
1/3 C onion, diced
1/3 C red pepper, diced
4 T margarine
2 T flour
1 t sugar
1 T soy sauce
1 or 2 C vegetable broth (for a thick or soupy sauce)
1 lb fresh mushrooms, Morels suggested
1/2 lb (8oz) pasta, angel hair suggested
1. Saute onions and peppers in 2 Tablespoons of margarine for 1 minute.
2. In a separate, medium sauce pan on medium heat, melt remaining 2 Tbsp of margarine with flour, sugar, and soy sauce. Mix well until thick and starting to bubble. This is your roux to make a thick, luscious sauce!
3. Turn to low heat. Mix in broth, mushrooms, onions and peppers. (My preference is to lean towards 1 C broth for a thick pasta sauce)
4.Cover and cook for 30 min. When done, feel free to taste for salt and fresh ground pepper
5. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta according to directions and drain.
6. Mix sauce with pasta or ladle sauce on top. YUMMMMMMYYYYY
PRO TIP: Knock yourself by adding extra veggies to stage 3. Peas, carrots, eggplant, etc. These are also good veggies to cut in large pieces for a stir fry to use with this sauce.
Original recipe on The Great Morel.com Full of lots of great Morel tips and eats!
** BONUS ROUND ** BONUS ROUND ** BONUS ROUND ** BONUS ROUND **
Pan fried mushrooms to go on top! (as shown in top photo)
Once again, this works best with morels.
Toss mushrooms in flour, and pan fry in hot margarine until crispy, golden brown! Heaven!