This was a historic recipe growing up at my house, with the base recipe surpassing 1977! How retro!
12 large mushrooms
2 Tbsp margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped
¼ C green peppers
½ C vegetarian pepperoni, diced (opt)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ C crushed round crackers (appx 15 crackers)
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (opt)
1 Tbsp parsley
1 Tbsp oregano
1/3 C vegetable (or no-chicken) broth
Salt to taste
1. Remove stems. Chop and set aside.
2. Clean the rest of the mushroom and drain caps on a towel.
3. Melt margarine in skillet. Add onion, pepper, pepperoni, garlic, and mushroom stems. I used soy chorizo.
4. Cook until tender, but not brown.
5. Add crackers, nutritional yeast, parsley, and oregano. Mix well.
6. Stir in broth. Add salt to taste.
7. When stuffing all sticks together, it is done. You may need to add more crackers for it to thicken up.
8. Spoon stuffing into the caps.
9. Place caps in a shallow baking pan with ¼” of water covering the bottom.
10. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes at 325 degrees.